Mini Stuffed Tofu Puffs

Ever since we got married, I forbid my husband to buy a deep fryer. Reason being he likes to use the fryer to fry chicken wings, burger patties and sausages for supper or as a snack before he got married. It's so unhealthy that I didn't want that bad eating habit to continue after marriage.

However - as I discover over the years - having a deep fryer does has its benefits. It greatly helps when I am cooking multiple dishes which I need to use the wok for both deep frying and stir fry. If I do it one by one, it will take up a lot of time. Also, a deep fryer means more recipes to try out. 

Finally, we got ourselves a Christmas gift last year - a Tefal Versalio Deluxe, a multicooker with deep frying function. Took me another 2 months before using this fryer :)

I was inspired by this recipe from Kuali website, but have modified the ingredients and method slightly.

Ingredients (Serves 3 - 4 pax)

8 pieces tofu pok/tofu puffs
1 cup conflour

Filling
150g shelled prawns, diced finely
250g minced pork
1 carrot, finely diced

Seasoning
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 egg white
1 tbsp cornflour


Method

  1. Cut tofu puffs into halves.
  2. Turn the tofu puff inside out carefully without breaking it.
  3. Scrap out the filling from the tofu puff.
  4. Combine all the ingredients for the filling in a bowl and mix in seasoning.
    Throw the mixture against the side of the bowl two or three times until it is sticky and springy in texture.
  5. Spoon the filling into the cavity of the tofu puff. (Make sure the tofu puff is not broken but it should stay in shape.) Fill up into a ball.
  6. Dust the tofu pok balls with cornflour before deep-frying in hot oil until crispy and lightly golden. Takes around 5 minutes when using the deep fryer.
  7. Drain from oil and serve with chilli sauce.

Here's my first attempt at this using the deep fryer :




I realised how convenient cooking has become with this deep fryer. I should attempt to try back my sweet and sour pork dish for a 2nd time, since I failed miserably the last time around!

Comments