A Date with West Side Story

My dear hubby managed to get two free tickets to West Side Story at Istana Budaya, so lucky!

I was initially interested when I heard about the news, but after checking out the price, I decided to give it a pass. Now we both get to watch it for free! Blessing in disguise? Perhaps you can say so :)

West Side Story is a musical set in New York during the 1950-s. It revolves around a Romeo-and-Juliet love story between the leads from two rival gangs, the Jets and the Sharks. Tony is the co-founder of the Jets, a gang of working class white group, who believe they are the true Americans. He fell in love with Maria, sister of Bernardo, the gang leader of the Sharks, who are first generation migrants from Puerto Rico. Will love conquer all as they have to overcome their own social barriers in order to obtain true love?

Storyline-wise, it was loosely based the novel Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare. No wonder I saw lots of similarities between this musical vs the movie by Baz Luhrmann. I love the choreography and colourful costumes worn by the Puerto Ricans. They don't even mince their words during certain parts of conversation, which led me to think this should be a PG-13 musical.

Overall, I enjoyed the musical very much, it did also help me to take away my attention on my work and the current internal audit that was ongoing. Great job to the event organizer who successfully bring them to Malaysia.

Does this mean there will be more to come? I really hope so!


Comments

Javatia said…
You lucky ducky! I've been dying to see this musical. I hope it comes to Melbourne. Am glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

Cheers,
Jam