Isn't it Ironic?

An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
And isn't it ironic...dontcha think

A couple of weeks back, about a dozen of us stayed back to wrap fruits as part of a employee well-being project. One fellow clubber blasted music from his laptop to make the atmosphere less boring. I like his choices of songs, as it comprises both new and old tracks.

Then came Alanis Morissette's "Ironic".

It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought...it figures

This song was a very popular during my high school days. I have 3 more classmates whom were close to me during those years. We sat at the last two rows in class, so usually we could have quiet discussions behind without the teacher noticing, unlike the noisy guy classmates who just sat across me.

Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought"Well isn't this nice..."
And isn't it ironic...dontcha think


The four of us were very good friends. We made gifts, share experiences and laughter together. Sometimes even sadness too. We were also very competitive when it comes to studies, this being very natural for me, since studies has always been top priority. Probably the craziest thing I remember we did is the Mexican Wave during Maths class one day. Everytime the teacher turned her back to write on the blackboard, the four of us would take turns to do the wave, much to the amusement of my other classmates. We were very lucky not to get caught coz that teacher didn't have much sense of humour. She probably wouldn't know what's a Mexican Wave then.

It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought...it figures


The other crazy thing we did together was to buy Jonathan Brandis (from Seaquest fame) a birthday card. Last time Memory Lane had those customised machine printed cards, so we forked out some money, bought the card, and posted it to his fanclub mail (mine you that time the Internet wasn't that popular). Last year (or 2004) Jonathan Brandis committed suicide. My guess was he couldn't revive his career, but I'm not sure what is the real reason.

Back to Alanis.

Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
When you think everything's okay and everything's going right
And life has a funny way of helping you out when
You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up
In your face


My best friend and fellow neighbour classmate Ju was the one who introduced me to Alanis. We were so into Jagged Little Pill that we memorised all the lyrics, discussed about meanings behind the songs, and had our mini karaoke sessions impersonating Alanis, all this during classes. One day, both of us wrote each phrase from the lyrics of "Ironic" onto mini white stickers (Liquid Paper was banned from school, so stickers was a safer option) and pasted them onto her black metal pencil case.

A traffic jam when you're already late
A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic...dontcha think
A little too ironic...and yeah I really do think...


After we finished high school and moved on to college and University, our friendship has sort of strained a bit, due to competitiveness from studies, and other factors too. I also lost touch with the other two, having never met them for a long time.

It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought...it figures


The only times I've heard from the three of them recently was when each of them wrote me an email to say they are getting married. Ju was the first to marry in 2002. She is still living in the States. Amy married our schoolmate in 2004 and is still living in UK. Ling just got married this year. I was the only person from high school who attended her church wedding.

Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
Life has a funny, funny way of helping you out
Helping you out

Me? I'm still in a relationship and not married. Funny thing was that I was the first who got into a relationship. Now I ended up being the last to get married. Sometimes, when I think about it, it hurts. Am I moving on, or I'm just plain stubborn, which lead me to where I am now? It's it destiny that brings me to this situation, or I just can't control my destiny?

Isn't it Ironic? DontCha Think?

Comments

Javatia said…
i like to believe that we each have control over the direction our lives take by the choices we make.