Our Church Wedding - 13th Dec 2008

Preparations for our church wedding started as early as 5am when I had to wake up and get ready before arrival of my makeup artist May Lim. After make-up and getting dressed, we waited for my parents to arrival for them to put on the veil following Chinese customs. After that was over, we proceeded on to Holy Rosary Church for our church wedding.

We were punctual, but somehow the previous wedding was not concluded, so I had to wait and cool down at the parish office. I was very glad to find out that they have decorated the altar with white and pink roses as I had requested, in addition to the red roses and lilies by the previous bride. As a result, the church decoration looked very fresh and sweet with the colourful burst of red, white and pink flowers. As I waited, my aunts tied the pews with pink and white chiffon ribbons to match the theme.



When it was about time, Oto-san and I went up to the entrance. Over there, my three cousins were getting prepared for their walk down the aisle as ringbearer, flower girl and maid-of-honour respectively. The the church bells rang, and Ototo-san (as the commentator) started to speak. And then they played the song I always dreamed of : Pachelbel's Canon in D. Ever since watching My Sassy Girl I had this crazy obsession with the song, and finally my wish came true :)

We took our place and started walking down the aisle, My arm on Ototo-san's. I can see my husband waiting for me at the other end. It was a nerve-wrecking moment, as I couldn't belive my eyes that this was happening. Thanks be to God!

While we reached the end, in front of the altar, I think Oto-san either became nervous or he forgotten what was the procedure of passing my hand over to my husband. There was an awkard moment there as we debated how should it be done, although in a friendly way. Once settled, hubby and I slowly made our way up the side of the altar as Father Daniel proceeded with the wedding service.

The songs were all praise and worship hymns selected by both of us, hence it was very meaningful for us to sing those hymns praising the Lord on this special occassion. Cousin Zhen Hui did a very good job with the reading as well. I'm very impressed!

After the Gospel reading and homily, Father Daniel proceeded on with the Rite of Marriage. That's when both our dads came up to be the witnesses.

We each took our vows during the Statement of Intent and Declaration of Consent. Next is the exchange of wedding rings. These rings represents symbols of our true faith in each other and always remind of us of our love. I remember letting out a laugh when my husband tried to put the ring into my finger - i think my finger became swollen the night before! Then it was my turn - protocol aside, I remember the joy of putting on the ring for him, yet the responsibility that comes with it for the rest of our lives. Can you imagine declaring your entire life with this person, my partner, my friend, not knowing how life will change after this day...



After that was over, we proceeded with the Prayer of the Faithful, followed by Communion Rite and Nuptial Blessing.

God, our Father, by your power you have made everything out of nothing. You made us in your own likeness and gave man the constant help of woman so that man and woman should no longer be two, but one flesh, and you teach us that what you have united may never be divided.

You have made the union of man and wife so holy a mystery that it symbolizes the marriage of Christ and His people.

Look with love upon this woman, your daughter, now joined to her husband in marriage. Give her the grace of love and peace. May she always follow the example of the holy women whose praises are sung in the scriptures.

May her husband put his trust in her and know that she is his equal and the heir with him to the life of grace. May he always honour her and love her as Christ loves His Church.

Keep them always true to your commandments. Keep them faithful in marriage and let them be living examples of Christian life.

Give them the strength which comes from the gospel so that they may be witnesses of Christ to others. And, after a happy old age, grant them fullness of live with the saints in the kingdom of heaven. We ask this through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

After communion and thanksgiving, the service has concluded. We then proceed to the signing of the marriage register. Once that's over, it's a brief photo session with Father, our parents and the bridal entourage. When the recessional music played - You'll Never Walk Alone - I was listening hard for the music but it was drowned by the bells!

It's more photo taking outside before we finally get to rest and have lunch.

Overall, the ceremony was simple as how we wanted it to be. I'm thankful to the Lord for making this day possible with my husband and our families.

So one day down, one more day to go!








Comments

Lilium said…
Wow! Finally out after so so long..=p