Spicy Lala with Superior Stock

This is a recipe I learned from Oka-san. Although Oka-san cooks this dish occasionally, I always look forward to it as I like clams, and love the delicious stock as well.

Ingredients

500g lala (clams)
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp kei chi (soaked)
3 - 5 cili pad, diced
4 slices shredded ginger
300ml chicken stock
Coriander (garnish)

Seasoning

1 tbsp Shao Hsing Hua Tiau wine
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper


1. Soak clams in salted water to remove excess dirt and mud.

2. Boil a pot of water. Once the water starts to boil, put in the clams and drain after one minute.

3. By then, most of the clams would already have been partially opened. Use a fork to open the rest. This is to ensure that there are no mud-filled clams which will ruin the disk. Discard the muddy clams, rinse under running tap water and drain well. Put aside.

4. Heat sesame oil in a work and sauté ginger and cili pade until fragrant.

5. Add in clams, and continue to fry for about another minute.

6. Pour in chicken stock and kei chi. Allow the dish to cook for another 3 minutes, or when the stock is boiling.

7. Garnish with coriander and serve at once.




My only complaint on my first try is probably the clams were not fresh enough, and I did not soak them long enough so there were some muddy clams which I ate. Need to start looking out for another stall in the market for fresh clams. Otherwise, I'm very happy with this dish :)


Comments

Lilium said…
Looks yummy! My fav dish with the soup..would give the recipe a try!