Fried Rice with Sesame Oil and Ginger

The first time I tasted this was when Oka-san brought over dinner for me. At first bite, I went "Wow! So yummy!" and quickly finished it. I asked for the recipe and tried it at my first opportunity to cook (I seldom cook now, even during weekends, because I was so busy with work and too tired to cook eventually)

Ingredients
2 cups rice, cooked and left overnight or chilled in the fridge (this is to remove excess moisture)
A piece of ginger (around 60g), finely sliced
4 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp cooking oil
2 eggs, beaten
Salt to taste

1. Heat up wok and add 1 tbsp cooking oil.
2. Put in beaten egg and fry till scrambled.
3. Remove from wok and put aside. Clean the wok and heat it up again.
4. Add 3 tbsp sesame oil into wok.
5. Put in sliced ginger and stir-fry till fragrant.
6. Put in rice, turn up the heat and continue frying for around 3 minutes.
7. Add in scrambled eggs and salt, stir thoroughly and fry for another minute.
8. Dish out and serve.



Here I added in some dried Korean seaweed into the rice to give it more texture. I also serve this with some stir-fried Siew Bak Choy on the side. Oka-san's version uses brown rice, which turns out very nice and more fragrant too.

I find using ginger is more fragrant than the garlic or onion. Perhaps it's the use of sesame oil as well. Next time I'll probably add in some long beans and chicken to make it a complete one-dish meal.

Comments