Other Attractions Around Amsterdam

These were the places I went on my own, while hubby was attending a conference :

Rembrandt House Museum

This is the house of the famous painter Rambrandt. Rembrandt purchased the house in 1639 and lived there until he went bankrupt in 1656, when all his belongings went on auction. It is now a museum. I just took photos of the exterior, did not went into the museum as I'm not so much of a fan of Rembrandt's works.


Hermitage Amsterdam

Having no clue what is a hermitage, I boarded a tram and walked till I reached the place called Hermitage Amsterdam. Seems it is a dependency of the Hermitage Museum located in Russia. It is basically an arts and culture museum, with some artifacts from Troy on display. Again, I went into the Hermitage but did not pay the entrance fee to visit its exhibitions.



Albert Cuyp Market

Albert Cuyp Market is supposedly the largest street market in Netherlands, offerring a wide variety of goods for sale. I like street markets, so I made sure I made an effort to visit this spot.

Perhaps I put my hopes too high - It was exactly like a typical Malaysian pasar malam! I supposed it's very much catered for the locals, else how could this market be around for the past 100 years?


The entrance to the market


Bags for sale...


... watches too. Reminds one of SS2 pasar malam?


The fishmongers keep their seafood fresh and clean


Something unique - cheese stall!

My only purchase from the Albert Cuyp Market was a piece of stroopwafel - A waffle made from two thin layers of baked batter with a caramel-like syrup filling in the middle.


Stroopwafel stall - one stroopwafel costs €1.50


It was around the size of a saucer, and very delicious!

Comments