Spaghetti Aglio e Olio FAIL

Sometimes the easiest looking dish may turn out to be the most difficult to cook Take for example during the Masterchef Australia Season 2 Finale whereby both Adam and Callum are required to cook a perfect omelette. Easy stuff? I don't think so. In fact, the only perfect omelette that I have tasted probably came from Pangkor Laut Resort egg station during breakfast.

So one fine weekend, we are both too lazy to go out and tapau lunch. I did not want to cook chinese-style fried spaghetti, and hubby is sick of sauce-based pasta. So I thought, why not cook Aglio e Olio, which in my mind a very simple oil based pasta dish. I had olive oil, garlic, chili flakes, spaghetti - all that is needed to cook this dish.

After checking the internet for recipes and coming up with my own estimation, here's the outcome:


It looked a bit plain because I did not have any garnish, except for bits of fried garlic and chili flakes. Taste-wise, I don't think I did a very good job :

1) The pasta was tasteless even though I added salt, perhaps not enough. The saving grace was perhaps the chili flakes-infused olive oil which gave it a little spicy kick.

2) Not enough olive oil was used, so was a little dry. My fault for not following to measurements.

3) Timing of cooking the pasta and oil is crucial. I cooked the oil too early, hence by the time the spaghetti was ready, the garlic became fried garlic.

Looks like I have to try to improvise on this dish next time, and make sure i buy some prawns as well to make it more yummy :)


Comments

Lilium said…
Practise makes perfect and hubby is the perfect white mouse..hahahah!