Paprik Ayam Recipe

I haven't tried a new recipe for quite some time now. Recently I was having some cravings for Paprik Ayam but I find the ones at Santai just not enough to satisfy my cravings. They serve one of the better nasi goreng paprik ayam or daging but i always get too much rice and too little chicken and sauce :p

I searched the internet for some recipes. In reference to these two recipes (here and here), I came up with my own version of paprik ayam.

Paprik Ayam (Serves 2 - 3)


1 chicken breast, cut into strips or cubes
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 slices of ginger, chopped
3 shallots, chopped
1 red chili, sliced
1 birds eye chili (cili padi), cut  
1 Large onion, thinly sliced
1 stalk cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
1 medium sized carrot, sliced
3 – 4 stalks baby corn, cut into pieces
3 kafir lime leaves (daun limau purut), torn
2 - 3 lemongrass (serai), bruised
2 tbs chilli sauce
2 tbs oyster sauce
2 tbs tomato ketchup
3 tbs cooking oil for frying
Salt and sugar to taste

Marinade for the chicken
1 tbs oyster sauce
1 tsp of white pepper
1 tsp of corn starch
A pinch of sugar
1 tbs water

Clockwise from upper left : lemongrass (serai), garlic, shallots, ginger, red chilli + birds eye chilli (cili padi), onion, kafir lime leaves (daun limau purut)

  1.  Marinade chicken for 1 to 2 hours
  2. Heat up wok and cooking oil
  3. Stir fry shallots, garlic, and ginger till fragrant. 
  4. Add in onion, chili (both types), lemon grass and kafir lime leaves. Continue to fry.
  5. Add in chicken, keep frying.
  6. While chicken is being cooked, add tomato ketchup, oyster sauce and chili sauce. Add a little warm water should the mixture begins to dry up. Let it cook for 1 minute.
  7. Mix in carrots, cauliflower and baby corn. You may also add in salt and sugar according to your taste.
  8. Stir fry for another a minute on a high heat until the vegetables are cooked.
  9. Serve hot immediately with rice.

My version of paprik ayam :)

This dish goes well with my kangkung and chicken shallot soup I made that night. I like it because it has lots more gravy than the ones I bought from outside. It tastes similar to the one at Santai as well. No need to buy from the shops anymore!

Hubby also like the dish although he commented he wanted it more spicy. I will add in more cili padi for him the next time I cook this dish. So happened Okasan dropped by for dinner. It was her first time tasting paprik ayam. She loved it very much, though she wished it wasn't so sweet. Maybe I should cut down on the sugar as well.

Overall I am happy with this dish. Can't wait to try it next time with some squid (sotong) or beef!

Comments