A Visit to JARO (Johore Area Rehabilitation Organization)

My first encounter with JARO (Johore Area Rehabilitation Organization) was 3 years ago, when they set up a small booth next to Starbucks at AEON Bukit Indah. Not many people paid attention to this stall, but what caught my eye was the beautiful baskets for sale. We didn't need any baskets then, but I purchased two sets of Batu Seremban from them. I told myself to visit this place one day, and finally I did - 3 years later.

About JARO (from JARO website

The Johore Area Rehabilitation Organization (JARO) is a registered charity which manages 3 sheltered workshops catering to the rehabilitation requirements of the physically and mentally challenged. It aims to start a new lease of life for people to create a sense of independence and to reposition themselves with dignity in the mainstream of society. This positive attitude that JARO instills in them enables them to live a normal working life with pride and confidence.

It was founded in 1952 by Dr. Beryl Wilberforce – Smith as a rehabilitation centre in the Johor Bahru General Hospital for cured TB patients to teach them some trades and handicrafts. That centre gradually became a self -sustaining charity known as the Johore Anti TB Rehabilitation Organisation. Three sheltered workshops for basketry, bookbinding and tailoring were set up. As TB slowly faded from the scene, the existing organization was revamped into a rehabilitation center for the physically-and mentally-challenged for these people had need which were not catered to. Despite being renamed the Johor Area Rehabilitation Organisation, the acronym of JARO was retained.

I had been following their Facebook Page for quite sometime while their official website was under construction. Recently their revamped website is up, so is their Facebook Shop. I saw those baskets again. And more baskets. And more items from their basketry range. That prompted me to drop by their centre to check out their wares.


Upon arriving, I found that the centre is undergoing some expansion and renovation, but their shop is still open. In fact, I initially parked at the wrong place, so I passed by the workshop area where I could see the staff busy at work. Later I reparked my car in front of their centre entrance.

I was first greeted by the products from their basketry and hard cane range. Each item is skillfully handmade by a JARO staff, and I feel the price is very reasonable for a handmade product.



I was very tempted to buy the children table and chair set. I can imagine my kids playing or do drawing together in the playroom or at one corner of the family hall.


They even had miniature furniture meant for dollhouse. How cute is that? 


In case you are wondering about the dollhouse furniture, yes - they do have a kampung dollhouse for sale as well!



The inner section of the shop consisted of items from their book binding and sewing workshop. The notebooks were beautifully bounded with wallpaper covers. There were also photo frames and tissue boxes, guests books with kain songket hardcovers. 




There were many types of bags for sale at the sewing section - clutches, sling bags, tote bags, recycle bags, pouches and purses. There were soft toys as well but I forgot to take photos of them. 


All of JARO products came with this tag.


I purchased a fruit basket (as the existing one was not big enough to put all the fruits in), some pouches as gifts, the hard cane baby chair as a gift for Tiram House at Bukit Tiram. I personally love the baby chair and I hope the chair will serve its good purpose there. 

My other purchase was this baby booster seat made of rattan. It is very solid and my children were comfortable sitting on it. It costs RM30, and I believe this will be put to very good use in my house. 



FYI - JARO accepts both cash and credit card payments.

I am sure there are cheaper versions of these products out in the market. I chose to support JARO as I know I am helping the respective crafts person by supporting their products. Rattan products are also known to be durable so (hopefully) what I bought will last a long time.

You may like and follow JARO's Facebook page below :




JARO Address: No. 18 Jalan Sungai Chat, Sri Gelam, 80100 Johor Bahru, Johor.
Tel : 07-224 5632

Comments