Kuru Kuru Shop

Ever since our family relocated to Johor Bahru in 2015, we didn't have any idea whom to go to in regards of recyclables and donating used 2nd hand items. Over the years, we discovered Yellow Bin, Tzu Chi recycling campaigns, where to drop off used batteries, and even Facebook groups that promote gifting and receiving without strings attached (Look up keywords Beli Nothing or Purchase Nothing)

Which brings me to introduce Kuru Kuru Shop in Sutera Mall. As stated in their Facebook Page, Kuru Kuru is derived from the Japanese word meaning circular. It is a shop which you can donate used items, and also choose something your fancy, without needing to spend a single sen. They have a list of usable items which they will accept, and a few which they don't. Please also note this is not a recycling centre. 

Kuru Kuru Sutera Mall
Photo credit : Kuru Kuru Facebook page

I have been visiting their store quite frequently the past year ever since I started my decluttering journey. They used to be located on the 4th floor, same side as My Library. However, that section has now being closed down for refurbishment works. They are now located on Level 1 (same floor as the covered parking. behind Caring Pharmacy). 


I visited the shop recently to donate some new food containers and books. The shop looked slightly smaller now as compared to its previous location. However, it was still packed with all sorts of 'treasure'. (I used the word 'treasure' because of the phrase 'one man's trash is another man's treasure'). The Pakcik who had been always manning the store was still working there. He greeted me and took in the bags containing the donated items and started to weigh and took down the weight by category. Whenever we take something from the shop we also need to weigh the item and write it down. This is their form of tracking of how many items were donated and taken from the shop. 

Here is their used clothes section. I usually don't donate clothes here as I prefer to donate to Yellow Bin or to whoever in need of clothing. On the left of the shelves were boxes containing bags and pouches.


This section consisted of kitchenware, stationery, toys and books. I usually love to browse the book section, and most of the time I was able to find some books to bring home.  


Today, I found the following items which I brought home :


A set of first edition books in Bahasa Malaysia that was printed in Malaysia. The books were not intact and someone had coloured over some pages, but overall they were in good condition.


It was interesting to note the spelling that was used then. Some the storyline and titles were a little strange as well. For example, Tiga Adek-Beradek Perempuan was actually Cinderella. Nona Orkid was actually Rapunzel. I wondered why the author/publisher did not use the original character's name. 

An unexpected find this time around was a Thomas the Train lunch bag! It was clean inside, the zipper still works and just needed a light wash and wipe down. I was so happy to be able to find this lunch bag. I plan to give this to my youngest when he goes to school next year. 



If you are doing spring cleaning and wondering where to drop off some of your items, do consider visiting Kuru Kuru Shop and do your part :)

During this time of uncertainty due to the Covid-19 pandemic, it is best to check out their Facebook page to find out on their operating hours. 

Comments

Creating Plans said…
Such a thoughtful article! You're right. This is a good way to help reduce and recycle. I should try to find a similar place where I live.

I have a blog too. I would be very happy if you could check it out -
creatingplans.blogspot.com